Since ancient times, surrounded by forests, Hida Takayama has developed a unique culture for woodblock printing. This style of printing has always been popular in the area and is specifically called “Hida Woodblock Printing.” While passing down traditional techniques, Hida artisans have been creating original pieces of art. In order to promote and let the world know about the culture of Hida Takayama, the Hida Takayama Contemporary WoodblockPrints Triennial invites both domestic and international artists to showcase their create new technical innovation and creativity.
Takayama City, Japan
Takayama-City Cultural Association, Hida Woodworking Federation, Soroptimist International of Takayama, Takayama Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Takayama Federation of Shopping Center Promotion and Takayama Financial Association (no particular order) [Supporters] Gifu Prefecture, Gifu Prefectural Board of Education, Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK) Gifu Station, Chubu-Nippon Broadcasting Co. Ltd., Tokai Television Broadcasting Co. Ltd., Chukyo TV. Broadcasting Co. Ltd., Nagoya Broadcasting Network, HitnetTV, Gifu Newspaper and Gifu Broadcasting System Inc., The Asahi Shimbun Company, The Mainichi Newspapers Chubu H The maximum paper size should be 90cm x 90cm (35.43in x 35.43in). Initial screening (based on an image of the artwork): 1. Photo format: Jpeg (no more than 3000×2400pixels) 2. Application forms can be downloaded from the website below: http://www.city.takayama.lg.jp/kurashi/1000021/1000118/1006776/1006777.html
* Put the artwork data and application form in the same folder and e-mail it to the address below. The maximum folder size should be 10MB. The folder name must be “HTCPT- (applicant’s name).” email@example.com * Application forms must be in kaisho-style Japanese or block-style English. * Application forms should not be handwritten but typed.
* Applications must be received between Tuesday, October 1 and 5p.m. Thursday, October 31, 2019 Japan time.
* Results of the initial screening will be posted at the end of January 2020. Secondary screening (based on the actual artwork): The maximum paper size should be 90cm x 90cm (35.43in x 35.43in). Artwork should be mailed without a frame. * Information including the address of the destination and the payment method of the application fee and the return fee will be sent to any applicant who passes the initial screening process.
* All artwork must be received by 5p.m. Monday, March 16, 2020.
* Results of the secondary screening will be posted in mid May 2020. [Application fee] Free for the initial screening and 2,000 yen per piece of artwork for the secondary screening. A fee will be charged to applicants who pass the initial screening.
* Fees will not be refunded for any reason.
* Applicants must pay all expenses related to the application, shipping and return. [Judges] (Titles omitted) Tetsuya Noda (Printmaker, Professor Emeritus of Tokyo University of the Arts) Teruo Isomi (Printmaker, Professor Emeritus of Aichi University of the Arts) Kunio Motoe (Art Critic) Zhang Yuanfan (Printmaker, Distinguished Professor of Shanghai Academy of Fine Arts, China) [Awards] First Prize/1 Winner (500,000 yen) Second Prize/1 Winner (300,000 yen) Third Prize/1 Winner (200,000 yen) Fourth Prize/5 Winners (50,000 yen per winner) Hida Woodblock Print Prize/1 Winner (50,000 yen) Sponsors’ Prize/6 Winners (30,000 yen per winner)
* All prizes include taxes. Winners will receive the prizes after taxes have been taken out. The pieces of art which receive the top three prizes will belong to Takayama City. No questions or objections concerning the judging process will be accepted. The contents of the above awards may change due to budgetary conditions of the organizer and/or the sponsors. [Exhibition Period and Venue for the Awards Ceremony] Venue: Takayama Cultural Hall (1-188-1 Showamachi, Takayama City) Date: June 2020 (Event dates are under consideration.)
* If the first prize winner lives overseas, the organizer will pay part of the travel expenses to Japan for the winning artist to attend the Awards Ceremony. [Return of Artwork (except for the artwork which receives the top three prizes)] (Artwork from those who live in Japan):
– Art pieces will be returned to the applicants by cash on delivery and by the method designated by the organizer. For the award winning pieces, this will be approximately within 60 days after the last day of the exhibition and approximately within 90 days after the final judging for the other pieces.
– If the artwork is returned to the organizer due to a reason such as the return address or the name of the applicant being unclear and there is no response from the applicant within 30 days, it will be understood that the applicant gives ownership of the artwork to the organizer, and the organizer will dispose of it. (Artwork from those who live overseas)
– Art pieces will be returned to the applicants by payment in advance and by the method designated by the organizer. For the award winning pieces, this will be approximately within 60 days after the last day of the exhibition and approximately within 90 days after the final judging for the other pieces.
– If the address specified by the applicant for the return of the artwork is within Japan, the artwork will be returned using the same method as a domestic application. – If the artwork is returned to the organizer due to a reason such as the address or the name of the applicant being unclear and there is no response from the applicant within 30 days, it will be understood that the applicant gives ownership of the artwork to the organizer, and the organizer will dispose of it.
– We will pay the utmost care in handling the artwork. However, we are not responsible for accidental damage to or loss of submitted artwork by a natural disaster or during transfer, storage or exhibition of the artwork or during the return of the artwork. Applicants may wish to purchase insurance.
– We reserve the right to take photographs of the artwork for purposes of recordkeeping or advertisement. Also, photograph taking of the exhibition venue and posting these on social media will be allowed.
– We reserve the right to publish photographs of the artwork and profiles of the award winning applicants for the purpose of announcement of the results, recordkeeping, catalog making and advertising.
– Awards may be withdrawn retroactively for a reason such as a violation of application criteria, even after results have been made public.
– The information provided in the application forms will not be used for any purpose other than those originally intended.
– Applications will only be accepted from those who agree and accept our application criteria.
[Contact] Person in Charge of the Hida Takayama International Contemporary Woodblock-Prints Triennale, Lifelong Learning Division, Citizens Activity Department, 2-18 Hanaokamachi, Takayama City, Gifu Prefecture 506-8555, Japan E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
* We request overseas applicants contact us by e-mail either in Japanese or in English.