Art residency in china, UИTITLEDSPΛCE®️ AiR program.
UИTITLEDSPΛCE®️ AiR encourages both young artists to continue their practice upon graduation and practicing artists to be kept inspired. UИTITLEDSPΛCE®️ AiR aims at providing an ideal creative and living environment for all artists. Opens to all contemporary artists throughout the year, during the residency, artists are encouraged to create a new body of work, engage in conversation with artists from China and around the world. Since the launch of the residency project in October 2017, there are over 100 artists have participated in the UИTITLEDSPΛCE residency program.
UИTITLEDSPΛCE®️ the building itself covers an area of 550 square meters, a total of 4 floors. The ground floor contains 6 private studios within sharing studio space (total of 220 square meters) and 3 storage rooms. The 1st floor is filled with 2 exhibition spaces, 1 cafe, and kitchen, 1 laundry room, 2 courtyards. The 2nd floor contains 7 private rooms for resident artists. The 3rd floor contains an office and 1 rooftop terrace. Gallery, accommodation, and studio all in the same building, for a more convenient living and working environment, ideal for an art residency.
Duration of residency
Between 1-6 months
UИTITLEDSPΛCE®️ AiR provides private bedrooms for selected artists with a queen-size or super single-size bed with an air conditioner (warm and cold), a desk and a chair, an open closet. Artists are free to use the cafe/kitchen, laundry room(washing machine and dryer), rooftop garden with outdoor swings, and other common space.
Disciplines, work equipment and assistance
Disciplines Visual Art, Sculpture Ceramics, Dance, Theatre, Printmaking, Performing Arts, Music, Literature, New Media, Animations, Film-making, Architecture, Curatorial, Photography Work equipment There is a wide variety of tools/equipment available for resident artists. Such as easel, tripod, lighting gear, projector, monitor, speakers, electric kiln, etc. Assistance There is on-site (24hrs) residency staff that assist resident artists sourcing materials, production of the artwork, ordering food delivery, setting up the exhibition, translation, etc.
Studio / Workspace
UИTITLEDSPΛCE®️ AiR will provide a semi-sharing studio, each resident artist has their own working space. There is a wide variety of tools/equipment available for resident artists. Such as easel, tripod, lighting gear, projector, monitor, speakers, electric kiln and etc.
Fees and support
- The residency is run as a sustainable program, the residency fee meets the minimal cost of running the residency.
- For the current residency fee, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The residency does not carry any funding support yet, so we encourage artists to manage the scholarship application, grants, or financial support in their home countries during the application period. Untitled Space will provide the necessary documentation to the selected applicant that so requires.
- Resident artist is responsible for their transportation, food, art material, and other living expenses.
- At the end of each residency program, all residency works belong to the residency artists, and UИTITLEDSPΛCE does not ask for the residency artists to donate their residency works.
Expectations towards the artist
UИTITLEDSPΛCE®️ AiR will curate exhibitions for resident artists at the end of each residency program. Exhibitions are a chance for resident artists to summarize their projects and experience during the residency. Resident artists will exhibit their works at the UИTITLEDSPΛCE®️ Gallery according to our exhibition schedule (Usually the exhibition takes place on the last weekend of the month).Artists who stay for 1 or 2 months, will participate in the group exhibition, for the artist who stays for 3 months, there will be a solo exhibition.*Participation in the exhibition is not compulsory.
Art residency in China 2022 XI·ART MUSEUM
See also: available art residencies.
The Xi·Art Museum Generative Project is an important and fundamental component of the development of the Xi·Art Museum. Different from the regular operating model of art museums, the Generative Project focuses more on open, growing, and participatory art practices and field research processes. Through long-term exchanges and cooperation with domestic and international artists, the Generative Project roots artistic creations in specific natural fields and contexts, where the creative works will be permanently preserved and displayed. Xi·Art Museum Generative Project is hosted by Lucitopia Town·Zixi Qingliang Mountain and Curated by C-PLATFORM. The Project will announce its annual topics, open call the domestic and international artists through applications by individuals and groups, or proposal recommended by the referrers, and the realization of the selected proposal, contribute to the organic growth of the Xi·Art Museum.
Not all life forms are visible to the naked eye. Bacteria, fungi and viruses live inside and on us, influencing all life on earth. Not only do microbes determine our metabolic capabilities and human health, but they are also at the basis of many processes that provide us with food, medicine and materials. We use yeasts for cooking and brewing, bacteria allow for fermentation processes and artists, architects and designers have experimented with the mycelium as a sustainable biomaterial in the creative field. The way in which natural intelligence generates collaboration and connection is possibly even more astonishing. The microscope and other technologies allows us to get familiar with the hidden life of microbes, triggering a new dimension in our imagination and new ways of seeing and understanding the world that surrounds us.
- In the field of contemporary art practice and natural research
- Open to different type of medium
- Artists, curators, designers and other creative practitioners and scientists in China and abroad
Number of Selected Projects
- 10-20 pieces/sets
- International/domestic round-trip flight tickets and transportation subsidy [no more than RMB 5,000 per person/group], lodging at appointed accommodations, shared studio space, and food [three meals per day];
- Selected works will be supported by the Project Material Grant [the amount of funding depends on the specific proposals];
- Professional support from project assistants during the residency process; Opportunities to participate in various exchange activities;
- We encourage and assist applicants to apply for international cultural exchange funds to sponsor their proposals.
- Call for Proposals: August 1st, 2021 – July 31, 2022
- Proposal Review: up to 15 business days from the date of receiving the application materials
- Implementation of the Proposals Selected: depends on the specific proposals
Steps to Apply
1. Applicants need to prepare the following materials:
2. Send application materials to :
- Official Email : email@example.com
[Please indicate in the subject of the email:Application for the Xi·Art Museum Generative Project]
- The incomplete application material submission will be considered as a waiver of eligibility
- All the submission materials can be in Chinese or English.