Application deadline: October 1 – 31, 2019 .
Eligibility: This contest is open to the general public.
*Since ancient times, surrounded by forests, Hida Takayama has developed a unique culture for woodblock printing. This style of printing has always been popular in the area and is specifically called “Hida Woodblock Printing.” While passing down traditional techniques, Hida artisans have been creating original pieces of art. In order to promote and let the world know about the culture of Hida Takayama, the Hida Takayama International Contemporary Woodblock- Prints Triennial invites both domestic and international artists to showcase their create new technical innovation and creativity.
This contest is open to the general public. Each applicant may submit up to two pieces of artwork. Artwork must have been created in 2018 or later. Artwork which has already been submitted to another competition will not be accepted. The maximum paper size should be 90cm x 90cm (35.43in x 35.43in). Initial screening (based on an image of the artwork): 1. Photo format: Jpeg (no more than 3000×2400pixels)
2. Application forms can be downloaded from the website below: http://www.city.takayama.lg.jp/kurashi/1000021/1000118/1006776/1006777.html
* Put the artwork data and application form in the same folder and e-mail it to the address below. The maximum folder size should be 10MB. The folder name must be “HTCPT- (applicant’s name).” firstname.lastname@example.org
* Application forms must be in kaisho-style Japanese or block-style English.
* Application forms should not be handwritten but typed.
* Applications must be received between Tuesday, October 1 and 5p.m. Thursday, October 31, 2019 Japan time.
* Results of the initial screening will be posted at the end of January 2020. Secondary screening (based on the actual artwork): The maximum paper size should be 90cm x 90cm (35.43in x 35.43in).
Artwork should be mailed without a frame.
* Information including the address of the destination and the payment method of the application fee and the return fee will be sent to any applicant who passes the initial screening process.
* All artwork must be received by 5p.m. Monday, March 16, 2020.
* Results of the secondary screening will be posted in mid May 2020.
First Prize/1 Winner (500,000 yen/4 062 euro)
Second Prize/1 Winner (300,000 yen/2 437 euro)
Third Prize/1 Winner (200,000 yen/1 624 euro)
Fourth Prize/5 Winners (50,000 yen per winner/ 406 euro)
Hida Woodblock Print Prize/1 Winner (50,000 yen/406 euro)
Sponsors’ Prize/6 Winners (30,000 yen per winner/406 euro)
Free for the initial screening and 2,000 yen per piece of artwork for the secondary screening. A fee will be charged to applicants who pass the initial screening.