Art Contest Title: Smithsonian.com’s 17th Annual Photo Contest.
Application deadline: April 2, 2019, and ends November 30, 2019, at 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time.
Eligibility: The Grand Prize, Readers’ Choice prize, Natural World, Travel, People, The American Experience, Altered Images and Mobile category prizes are open to photographers who are 18 years old or older. Individuals affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution, including employees, emeriti, Regents, trustees, interns, volunteers, fellows, research associates and their immediate families (children, parents, siblings and spouses) and others living in their households, as well as employees of The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel, its parent or affiliate companies as well as their immediate families (children, parents, siblings and spouses) and others living in their households, are not eligible for any prize. The Smithsonian will determine winners’ eligibility in its sole discretion.
The following six contest categories are drawn from subjects of special interest to Smithsonian.com:
1. Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
2. Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
3. People: Portraits and photos of groups or individuals.
4. The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage; photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
5. Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects.
6. Mobile: Any photograph taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
Application Steps: Submit your Art piece to the following website website link.
*$2,500, plus a trip to Southwest Florida, $1,000 flight voucher for travel.
* The winners of each of the six categories will receive $500.
*The winner of the online Readers’ Choice award will receive $500.